My daughter-in-law Emily is always gracious enough to make this delicious lasagna for me when I ask. The roasting of the vegetables adds such a wonderful flavor and texture to the lasagna.
ROASTED VEGETABLE LASAGNA
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 16 wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups 2% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large jar of your favorite spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 9 cooked lasagna noodles (you can use the no-boil noodles if you prefer)
- 2 cups spinach leaves, divided
- 1 cup sliced white button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil sprigs (optional)
- Cooking spray
To prepare vegetables, cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel; set aside.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Combine oil, salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, squash, zucchini and onion on a baking sheet; toss well. Bake the vegetables at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven; combine squash mixture and garlic in a bowl.
Decrease oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
To prepare cheese mixture, combine cottage cheese and the next 3 ingredients (cottage cheese through oregano) in a bowl.
Spread 1/4 cup sauce in the bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over sauce; top with 1 1/4 cups cheese mixture, 1 cup spinach, 4 bell pepper halves, 2 cups vegetable mixture, half the mushrooms and 1/4 cup sauce. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread remaining sauce over noodles.
Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake an additional 20 minutes. Garnish with basil sprigs.