Warmer weather is upon us, just in time for geocache enthusiasts to participate in the newly updated Georgia History Trail GeoTour.
Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites has announced a fresh update to the popular tour complete with new challenges, locations and a new reward. Embark on the mystery cache GeoTour which offers geocachers of all levels a chance to travel back in time to all 19 of the historic sites locations and earn an exclusive trackable coin upon completion.
Before beginning the fun, be sure to download and print out a Time Travel Ticket. For additional information and a complete list of History GeoTour locations, visit GaStateParks.org/Geocaching to plan an itinerary.
New to this park offering? Before jumping into the activity head first, enjoy a brief introduction and a how-to-play guide below.
What is Geocaching?
Geocaching is an outdoor adventure game, similar to a treasure hunt played with a GPS capable device. The idea is to locate hidden containers called “caches,” trade trinkets of equal or greater value along the way, then sign the logbook at each cache before sharing your experiences online. After obtaining coordinates and hints from Geocaching.com, you can begin searching Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites locations for these hidden caches. Geocaching is the ideal activity for families or anyone looking to try a new outdoor activity.
History Trail GeoTour
Journey across the Peach State and solve clues along the way Indiana Jones-style. Only after answering all new questions about Georgia’s history will you be able to open the combination lock to each geocache, making this an ideal game for history buffs.
How To Play?
• Go to the Geocaching.com Georgia History Trail page, log-in and find GPS coordinates and clues.
• Download a GeoTour Time Travel Ticket and print it out. The grids will be used to record your success.
• Before participating, check GaStateParks.org for hours of operation and admission fees of each site.
• In this GeoTour, most of the caches are mystery/puzzle geocaches. You’ll need to visit three to five stages (locations) within the state’s historic sites, the final location being a locked can.
• Answer questions at each stage to determine the four-digit lock combination for the final geocache.
• After you find the geocache and correctly open the combination lock, log your name and comments inside the geocache then trade a trinket of equal or greater value.
• Find the letter inside the cache and write it in the corresponding historic site location box on the grid of your GeoTour Time Travel Ticket. Find all the caches to reveal the final secret message.
• Log back into Geocaching.com to tell of your experience and brag about your find.
In addition to geocaching, visitors can participate in several activities including kayaking, hiking, camping, archery, tree climbing and more. Depending on the park, visitors can also take part in fun and challenging clubs including Tails on Tails Dog-Walking Club, Canyon Climbers Club, Muddy Spokes Club and Park Paddlers Club. For more information, visit GaStateParks.org/ParkClubs.