Tracking a few simple numbers can be a big help in keeping tabs on heart health.
But you need to pay attention to those numbers long before your doctor says they're an urgent concern, said Nicole Spartano, a research assistant professor in the department of endocrinology, diabetes, nutrition and weight management at Boston University School of Medicine.
She likened it to watching warning signs on a highway: Paying attention now alerts you to problems that might appear down the road.
"Just because you haven't reached whatever threshold is there for the diagnosis doesn't necessarily mean you're in the clear in terms of whatever physiological measure you're tracking," she said.
Blood pressure is particularly crucial, said Dr. Raymond R. Townsend, professor of medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
"There is nothing more important to living longer, and living with a functioning heart and brain, than attending to an elevated blood pressure," he said. "You need to be sure of what your BP numbers are because if you don't measure it, you cannot manage it."
A health care provider can tell you specific targets. But in general, here are some important ones to track:
As featured on
As the coronavirus pandemic makes a resurgence throughout the U.S., having the latest inform…
As health officials continue to stress the importance of washing your hands frequently, disi…
- Movie review: 'Uncle Frank' is a funny, sad, riveting, thoughtful film about family
- 5 things to know for November 27: Covid-19, Flynn, election, Turkey, Venezuela
- You cooked for 20 and fed 6 people. What to do with all of those leftovers
- Neanderthals may have used their hands differently from humans
- This therapist fights online toxicity, one TikTok video at a time
- Baggett expresses concern about lack of respect for police; Cotton says nonviolent offenders may soon find themselves in jail
- Georgia high school teacher, coach charged in sexual assault of a student
- Students, staff members at Veterans Memorial under quarantine
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp makes record-breaking announcement at Bridgestone in Covington
- Crowds brave cold and coronavirus to turn out for Covington's Lighting of the Square
- Man broke into Alabama Circle K; drank milk, ate protein bars before getting caught while smoking a cigarette
- Four locals named to Atlanta Tipoff Club's All-Metro Watch List
- Property tax relief effort underway in Rockdale
- Rockdale County Jail Blotter
- Gary Washington appointed associate judge of Rockdale Probate Court
This is not a scientific poll — results reflect only the opinions of those voting.