A monument honoring Rockdale County's Confederate soldiers was placed at the corner of the county courthouse on Main Street on April 26, 1913. On June 30, 2020, just over 107 years later, the monument was removed following an executive order from Rockdale County Commission Chair Oz Nesbitt Sr.
Nesbitt said he had received numerous emails, phone calls and texts from people wanting the monument removed and wanted to follow the "letter of the law" in doing so. But, Nesbitt said, after receiving word about possible threats to the monument, he made the decision to take it down.
Roper and Sons Crane Company began taking the monument down after a brief ceremony at 10 p.m. Tuesday night. Nesbitt said they decided to do it then because they did not want to interrupt court services or downtown businesses during the day, but wanted to give citizens a chance to come out and watch.
Nesbitt said he is in talks with the city of Conyers about placing the monument in the city cemetery. Nesbitt said the monument will be kept in an undisclosed location for it safety until it can be put in a new location.
Born and raised in Decatur, Ga. Graduated from Shorter College in Rome, Ga. in 1979 with B.A. in Communications. Worked in community newspapers for 26 years. Started at Rockdale Citizen/Newton Citizen in January 2016.
- Shaquille O'Neal named Director of Community Relations for Henry County Sheriff's Office
- Elliot Page and Emma Portner say they are divorcing
- Packers CEO: 'We're not idiots. Aaron Rodgers will be back'
- Reports: Phillies, J.T. Realmuto agree to five-year, $115.5M deal
- Biden continues push to put racial equity at the forefront
- Newton's new coroner complains about lack of funding, supplies
- HEALTH: What's best for arthritis: elliptical or treadmill?
- Gwinnett County Police: Duluth teen allegedly stole nearly $1 million from Kroger where he worked
- What to do, and not do, before and after your Covid vaccine shot
- Covington teens charged after being caught in stolen car with guns and drugs
- Missing child found safe Friday night in Newton County
- Three Newton commissioners stall fire station bond, seek funding for parks, aquatic center
- Requested bond projects in Newton outlined
- Traci Ralston
- Rockdale County Jail Blotter
This is not a scientific poll — results reflect only the opinions of those voting.