Newton schools accepting HB 251 transfer requests

COVINGTON — After reviewing guidelines provided by the Georgia Department of Education, the Newton County School System has identified four schools as potentially eligible to receive students whose parents wish to transfer their child under the provisions of House Bill 251.

Those schools are: Flint Hill Elementary, Livingston Elementary, Porterdale Elementary and Rocky Plains Elementary.

The statute allows Georgia parents to request to transfer their students to other schools in the district as long as there is classroom space available at the school after its assigned students have been enrolled. A student who transfers to another school pursuant to this law may elect to continue to attend that school until the student completes all grades of the school.

Newton County Schools has determined the tentative seats available per grade level at each of the potential transfer schools as listed below:

♦ Flint Hill: Five first-grade seats and five second-grade seats.

♦ Livingston: Five first-grade seats, five third-grade seats and five fourth-grade seats.

♦ Porterdale: 10 first-grade seats, 10 second-grade seats and 10 fourth-grade seats.

♦ Rocky Plains: Five second-grade seats and five third-grade seats.

Parents electing to exercise the choice option under HB 251 will assume all costs and responsibilities associated with transporting the child to and from the selected school if the request is granted.

Parents must complete an NCSS HB 251 Transfer Request Form and submit it either by hand delivery to the receptionist at the Newton County Board of Education, located at 2109 Newton Drive NE, Covington or by email to

The deadline for submission is 5 p.m. Friday, July 12. No HB 251 transfer requests will be accepted for the 2019-20 school year after the July 12 deadline.

Transfer Request Forms will be accepted only for those tentatively eligible schools/grades listed.

If the number of transfer requests received exceeds the remaining available capacity, openings will be filled by a public random lottery. Letters will be mailed to parents/guardians regarding acceptance or denial of HB 251 transfer request no later than July 25.

The HB 251 Transfer Request Form is posted and available for download on the Newton County School System website homepage at

For more information, contact the Newton County School System Department of Student Services at 770-787-1330 ext. 1212.

Covington native and proud Valdosta State alumna, Hunter has previously worked with The Covington News and Valdosta Daily Times. She started working for Rockdale/Newton Citizen in June 2018.

Stay Informed