COVINGTON — Preparations for the holiday season are underway, and the city of Covington is getting in on the action with plans for the annual Lighting of Downtown Covington.
The event will be held Thursday, Nov. 15, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., sponsored by Main Street Covington and presented by the city of Covington and High Priority Plumbing.
Local children’s choirs and musicians will perform throughout the event, and Santa Claus will be available for photo opportunities. Not only will the official city of Covington Christmas tree be lit during the event, but the sky over downtown Covington will light up with fireworks at 7 p.m. and more than 100,000 lights provided by Christmas Décor by Great Estates will light up the buildings.
The Lighting of Downtown Covington, which was recently named one of the Top 10 Tree Lighting Events in Georgia by Trips to Discover, will also provide an opportunity for Christmas shopping. While the event is taking place, several of the businesses around downtown Covington will offer specials and holiday promotions. Follow Main Street Covington on social media for updates on all of the specials being offered that evening.
There will be several road closures on the day of the event. Clark Street will be closed in front of the Historic Courthouse beginning at 12 noon. The roads around the Square and one block off the Square will close at 4 p.m.
JACO Contracting Inc. and Fat Boys Golf Carts will have limited free golf cart shuttles throughout downtown. Designated handicap parking will be available at the downtown branch of BB&T, which is located at 1134 Clark St. SW. The golf cart pickup and drop off locations will be at the Elm Street side of Mayfield’s Ace Hardware and at Morgan Plaza.
The Lighting of Downtown Covington is just the beginning of Christmas in Covington. Main Street Covington has also scheduled the following holiday events:
• Dec. 1: Covington Christmas Parade at 10 a.m., presented by the city of Covington, Covington Lions Club and High Priority Plumbing. For more information about the parade, please email the Covington Lions Club at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dec. 1: Christmas Parade After Party from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m., presented by Newton Federal Bank with High Priority Plumbing. Various activities will be offered, such as wreath decorating, photos with Santa, visits from princesses and more.
• Dec. 6, 13, and 20: Candlelight & Carriages from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m., presented by Newton Federal Bank with High Priority Plumbing. This event allows participants to experience “A Christmas in Covington” the old-fashioned way. Each Thursday night until Christmas, horse-drawn carriages will provide rides around the Covington Historic District. There will also be extended business hours.find that extra-special gift for someone on your “Nice List” at your favorite merchant during extended business hours.
Dec. 9: Live Nativity from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m., presented by High Priority Plumbing & Covington First United Methodist Church. Gather on the Square for one of Covington’s greatest traditions: the Live Nativity. The First United Methodist Church of Covington will bring the Christmas story to life in this reenactment. Christmas music with readings of the Christmas story are scheduled at 6:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m.
Santa will also be making several trips to downtown Covington on the following schedule:
• Nov. 15: Photos with Santa in the Square Park from 7 p.m. until 10 p.m.
• Dec. 1: Photos with Santa inside the Historic Courthouse from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m.
• Dec. 2: Photos with Santa inside the Historic Courthouse from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m.
• Dec. 15: Photos with Santa inside the Historic Courthouse from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m.
• Dec. 16: Photos with Santa inside the Historic Courthouse from 1:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. Photos with Santa are free for those who use their own camera. Professional photos may be purchased from Wright Expressions Photography. For more information, please contact Wright Expressions Photography at 678-908-7753.
For more information about The Lighting of downtown Covington and other Christmas events, follow Main Street Covington on Facebook at www.facebook.com/downtowncovingtonga or call 770-385-2077.
Main Street Covington is a locally funded non-profit volunteer organization comprised of residents, professionals and property and business owners.