COVINGTON — Newton County Schools announced the winners of the NCSS District Science Fair on Friday.
All middle and high school students who earned first place awards will move on to challenge other students at the Griffin RESA Regional Science & Engineering Fair on Feb. 7.
A small group of elementary students also participated in the district science fair to gain experience and exposure to the competition; however, those first place winners will not compete in the regional fair.
“Congratulations to each of our science fair winners,” said Samantha Fuhrey, NCSS superintendent. “I know that a lot of time and effort goes into researching and conducting science experiments for each project; I commend each of the students for taking the time to participate. I was very much impressed by the wide variety of projects on display at the science fair. Our students conducted some extremely high caliber experiments so I know our first place winners will represent Newton County School System well in the regional science fair.”
The following is a list of all winners along with their project titles.
High School First Place:
- Victoria Bailey Eastside, Behavioral and Social Sciences In Living Color: How the Different Wavelengths of Light Affect Circadian Rhythm
- Maranda Brown and Renecia Davis, Newton, Energy: Chemical Solar Panel USB Phone Charger
- Iyonna Clark, Newton, Materials Science Assistive Technology for Elderly and Disabled Individuals
- Jared Seals, Newton College and Career Academy, Engineering Mechanics The Next Gen
- Ken Nguyen, NCCA, Environmental Engineering Fire From Above
- Logan Dobar, NCCA, Energy: Chemical Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- Zoe Mayo, Newton, Biomedical and Health Sciences Substrate Breakdown
- Sydney Meeler, Eastside, Microbiology Ineffective biological Pathways in DNA Reparation: The “Yeast” of Our Worries
- Caiden Newman, Eastside, Behavioral and Social Sciences In Living Color: How the Different Wavelengths of Light Affect Circadian Rhythm
- Russell Danilchuk, NCCA, Environmental Engineering Fire From Above
- Sam Dage, NCCA, Materials Science Acid Rain Solutions
- Sarah Schleuter, Eastside, Biomedical and Health Sciences The Effects of Cell-Cell Crosstalk on Glucose Stimulated Insulin Secretion
- Van Nipper, NCCA, Engineering Mechanics Wi-Fi: An Unstoppable Force
- Zachary Moore, NCCA, Engineering Mechanics The Next Gen
Middle School First Place:
- Trinity Benton, Newton County Theme, Chemistry Which Multivitamins Are More Effective on Your Body
- Kevin Dorsett, Veterans Memorial, Physics and Astronomy Hertz & RPM
- Sarah Edge, Indian Creek, Animal Sciences Breeds & Gaits
- Caleb Ekanem, NC Theme, Earth and Environmental Sciences Effects of Activated Carbon on Water
- Megan Ellington, NC Theme, Biomedical and Health Sciences Battle of Degreasers
- Lizara Fletcher, Indian Creek, Animal Sciences Eggcellent Journey
- Danielle Foster, Liberty, Chemistry Non-Newtonian Madness Nevaeh Foster Veterans Memorial 1st Place Chemistry Laundry War
- Suniyah Gibson, Liberty, Materials Science What a Magnet-ficent Light UP!
- Terrance Hill, Veterans Memorial, Animal Sciences The Effect of Whey Protein on Planaria Regeneration
- Ashley Holland, Liberty, Chemistry Non-Newtonian Madness
- Grace Knowles, Indian Creek, Biomedical and Health Sciences Does Caffeine Have a Placebo Effect?
- Nathan Langford, Veterans Memorial, Animal Sciences The Effect of Whey Protein on Planaria Regeneration
- Lydia Lee, Lillie Litts, NC Theme, Biomedical and Health Sciences Which Hand Soap Removes the Most Amount of Germs Best?
- Emma Grace Lumpkin, NC Theme, Earth and Environmental Sciences Effects of Activated Carbon on Water
- Jeremy Mitchell, NC Theme, Chemistry Do You See What I See? What Type of Sunglass Lens Best Protects your Eyes from UV Radiation
- Jay Nipper, Indian Creek, Biomedical and Health Sciences Think Fast…er!
- Cameron Potter, Indian Creek, Plant Sciences Aquaponics vs Hydroponics
- Skylar Price, Veterans Memorial, Chemistry See the Vitamin C
- Cindy Ramos, Indian Creek, Animal Sciences Eggcellent Journey
- Kenzie Thompson, NC Theme, Animal Sciences Which Food Do Honey Bees Find Faster?
- Anthony Rider Wendell, Veterans Memorial, Physics and Astronomy Let’s Bounce Into Science
- Brooklynn Wescott, Indian Creek, Materials Science Which Household Item Nailed It?
- Kaitlin Wilber, NC Theme, Biomedical and Health Sciences Saddle Up! Does the Addition of Shock Material Reduce G-Force?
- Aniya Wren, Veterans Memorial, Chemistry Laundry War
Elementary School First Place:
- Katie Bryan, East Newton, Engineering Where Should You Put the Weight on a Paper Airplane to Make it Fly Farthest?
- Brandon Nolley, Livingston, Life Science Is Smiling Contagious?
- Emmanuel Owens, Fairview, Physical Science Can Baking Soda & Hydrogen Peroxide Knock Out Stains?
- Josselin Zintzun, South Salem, Earth & Space Science Root to Erosion