CONYERS - The November General Election will feature one Rockdale County Board of Commissioners’ race after Post 2 incumbent Dr. Doreen Williams and challenger Larry Cox defeated their opponents in the primary election.
Williams defeated two challengers on the Democrat ballot. Williams collected 5,803 votes for 79.83 percent. Jeremy Boutelle had 970 votes for 13.34 percent, and Nicolae Suma had 496 votes for 6.82 percent.
On the Republican ballot for the seat, Larry Cox took 3787 votes, or 88.36 percent, to Yul Anderson’s 499 votes for 11.64 percent. Cox and Williams will face off in the November General Election.
The only other locally contested race was for the Rockdale County Board of Education Post 1, which was a Non-Partisan race. Sandra Jackson came out on top in a close four-person race. Jackson collected 3,558 votes for 29.91 percent. Anika Inman was closest to her with 3,297 votes for 27.72 percent. Mary Greco was third with 2,607 votes for 21.91 percent, and Ben Sosby rounded out the field with 2,382 votes for 20.02 percent.
A total of 13,145 out of 56,656 registered voters in Rockdale County cast ballots, a voting percentage of 23.30 percent.
At press time, 127 of 159 counties had reported in for state and federal races. In races affecting Rockdale County:
• U.S. House, Dist. 4, Democrat ballot - Incumbent Hank Johnson was well ahead of challenger Juan Parks. Johnson won with 80.91 percent of the vote in Rockdale and was winning with 76.85 in the district. Johnson will face Republican challenger Joe Profit in November.
• State Senate, Dist. 17, Republican ballot - Incumbent Brian Strickland collected 90.98 percent of the votes in Rockdale and was winning with 92.30 percent in the district. He will face Democrat challenger Phyllis Hatcher in November.
• State Senate, Dist. 43, Democrat ballot - Incumbent Tonya Anderson won 85.60 percent of the vote in Rockdale and was ahead with 85.86 percent over Joel Thibodeaux in the district. She is unopposed in November.
• State House, Dist. 90, Democrat ballot - Incumbent Pam Stephenson won in Rockdale with 76.78 percent and was ahead in the district with 72.41 percent over Gregory Shealey. She will face Republican challenger Takosha Swan in November.
• State House, Dist. 109, Democrat ballot - Denise Gaines-Edmond held a 51.24 percent lead over Regina Lewis-Ward in Rockdale, but in the district, Lewis-Ward came back to lead with 58.02 percent.
• State House, Dist. 109, Republican ballot - Incumbent Dale Rutledge won in Rockdale wtih 75.37 percent over Blake Prince and with 71.76 percent in the district. Rutledge and Lewis-Ward will face off in November.
• State House, Dist. 113, Democrat ballot - Incumbent Pam Dickerson won with 66.47 percent in Rockdale and was leading with 62.68 percent in the district over Sharon Henderson.