Social Circle, GA Charles Wayne Smith, age 72, of Social Circle, Ga., passed away Tuesday, September 1, 2020 with his loving wife by his side at Piedmont Walton Hospital in Monroe, Ga. Wayne was born in Conyers to Bueford and Clara Smith on October 17, 1947. Wayne graduated from Rockdale County High School in 1965. Wayne began a career in Plumbing that spanned over 40 years spending a majority of his career with Batchelor and Kimball Mechanical Contractors that started in 1978 and was with BKI until his retirement in 2010. Wayne was also a member of Local Union 72 Plumbers, Pipefitters and HVACR Services Technicians. Wayne is preceded in death by his parents, Bueford and Clara Smith; sister, Carolyn Elaine 'Mit' Smith. Wayne is survived by his wife, Rita (Watson) Smith; sons and daughters-in-law, Mike and Chasity Smith, Doug and Sheri Smith; sister and brother-in-law, Jane and Wayne Wilson. Wayne also leaves behind 3 grandsons that he loved dearly, Dean, Devin, and Bailey Smith. Memorial service will be held Friday, September 4, 2020 at 12:30 PM at Social Circle Baptist Church with Rev. Michael Hardy officiating. The family will receive friends and family Friday, September 4, 2020 from 11:00 AM to 12:15 PM at the church. Condolences may be submitted on-line at www.scotward.com. Scot Ward Funeral Services, 699 American Legion Rd., Conyers, GA, 770-483-7216.
- ASK AMY: Scorned husband needs a dose of cordial
- Robert Graetz, White pastor who helped organize Montgomery bus boycott, dies at 92
- Georgia Tech's Jahmyr Gibbs named ACC Rookie of the Week after impressive debut
- Report: Colts S Hooker (Achilles) out for season
- Reports: Broncos' Sutton has torn ACL, Lock out 2-6 weeks
- Remains identified as elderly Covington man; daughter charged with concealing his death
- Some students return to the classroom in Newton on Monday
- Conyers approves conditional use permit for liquor store
- Rockdale Public Schools remains focused on virtual-only instruction
- Rockdale Chief Judge David Irwin announces his retirement
- Judge John Ott dismisses petitions seeking to prevent removal of Confederate statue in Covington
- Newton resident Tim Fleming leaving Gov. Kemp's administration
- Rockdale County searching for new finance director; commissioners call for audit
- Efforts to protect Confederate monuments underway in Newton, Henry
- Covington man faces entering auto, prowling charges
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Get the latest business news delivered to your inbox every weekday morning.
Coronavirus outbreak updates
Get the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak delivered to your inbox daily.
Get our expert short-term forecast, summary of the weather details and news of any severe weather affecting Rockdale and Newton Counties.
Most popular posts on RockdaleNewtonCitizen.com
Get the most popular posts on RockdaleNewtonCitizen.com from the previous week emailed to you every Monday morning.
Get news alerts and breaking news stories from the Rockdale Citizen and Newton Citizen delivered to your email.
Newton Local Newsletter
Get headlines from the Newton Citizen delivered daily to your email inbox.
Newton Sports Newsletter
Daily sports headlines from Newton Citizen.
Get the latest obituaries delivered to your inbox every weekday morning.
Rockdale and Newton Eats
Sign up for Rockdale and Newton Eats, a weekly email newsletter with the latest on eateries in Rockdale and Newton Counties sprinkled with recipes.
Rockdale Local Newsletter
Get headlines from the Rockdale Citizen delivered daily to your email inbox.
Rockdale Sports Newsletter
Get daily sports headlines from the Rockdale Citizen delivered to your email inbox.