Mrs. Margaret McLaren, age 98, of Oxford formerly of Avondale Estates passed away June 28, 2020. She was born in Tain, Scotland on May 7, 1922 to Kenneth and Isabella Fraser MacLeod who have preceded her in death. Mrs. McLaren along with her husband John both served in the Royal Air Force of Scotland during World War II. Following the war, the couple moved to Georgia where it took them five years to gain their citizenship. Mrs. McLaren was an avid reader, she enjoyed traveling, cooking, and even traveled back to Scotland on several occasions. She worked for and retired from Dekalb County, working as a clerk at the Maude Burris Library. Mrs. McLaren was of the Presbyterian faith and was a longtime member of Decatur Presbyterian Church. Along with her parents she was preceded in death by her husband John McLaren. Mrs. McLaren is survived by her children John F. McLaren and his wife Nancy of Avondale Estates, Eleanor Polak and her husband J.J. of Oxford, and Kenneth McLaren and his wife Holly of White Plains. She is also survived by grandchildren; Christine, Susan, Jennifer, John, Becky, Beth, Andy, and Marty, along with her 21 great grandchildren, her 3 great-great grandchildren and a host of other family and close friends. Graveside services for Mrs. McLaren will be held at 11 o'clock, Friday, July 3, 2020 at Melwood Cemetery. In lieu of flowers donation may be made to the Decatur Presbyterian Church. J.C. Harwell and Son Funeral Home, 2157 East Street, SE, Covington, GA 30014 770-786-2524
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Draw and Upload your Favorite Troll by July 20th for a chance to win a Troll World Tour Prize Pack. You can also mail your Troll drawing to: TROLLSROCKDALE C/O GDP P.O. Box 603, Lawrenceville GA 30046. Contest Rules: Must be 18 years of age or older to enter. • Void where prohibited and rest…
- Newton Commissioners vote to remove Confederate monument from Historic Covington Square
- World's population likely to shrink after 50 years
- Squirrel tests positive for bubonic plague in Colorado, health officials warn
- A nursing home in England recreates famous album covers using its residents as models
- An alligator slammed into the side of a kayak, tipping the boater into the river
- Rockdale County High community mourning death of head football coach Jamie Baldwin
- Sons of Confederate Veterans files restraining order and complaint against Rockdale over removal of Confederate monument
- Beloved Rockdale County head coach Jamie Baldwin's sudden death sends shockwaves through community
- Woman shot Wednesday night on White Birch Drive has died; Sheriff's Office seeking answers
- Newton BOE approves new school calendar, discusses return-to-school options
- Information on shooting at July 4-5 party that wounded several people being sought by Rockdale County Sheriff's Office
- Newton County pays tribute to Judge Horace J. Johnson Jr.
- Newton County Judicial Center renamed in honor of Judge Horace Johnson
- Rep. Dickerson announces groundbreaking of high mast lighting project in Rockdale County
- Heritage's Sade Harrell pledges commitment to HBCU powerhouse Bethune-Cookman